|Thyroid disorders affect millions of Americans. Are you|
one of them?
Hypothyroidism can affect both men and women, and can often be the root cause of many other underlying illnesses and problems in the body - from weight gain and general tiredness, to arthritis, high cholesterol, diabetes, depression, repeated miscarriages, infertility, low breast milk supply, among other things.
Some quick facts on thyroid diseases:
• Thyroid disease is the most common endocrine disorder.
• Eight out of ten (80 percent) diagnosed thyroid cases are hypothyroid; 20 percent are hyperthyroid.
• 27 million people in the US, and approximately 200 million worldwide, have a thyroid disorder.
• Of that 27 million, about half are considered undiagnosed.
• As of 2010, sales of Synthroid, the most popular drug used to treat hypothyroidism, went up 18.1% to $123 million.